Oct 16 Samdo to Dharamsala. Manaslu trek, Nepal.

It was a big climb out of the valley, where we ascended from Samdo at 3870m to 4460m at Dharamsala. According to altitude.org  "At 4460m, the standard barometric pressure is 60 kPa (449 mmHg). This means that there is 59% of the oxygen available at sea level."  
At 5:30am I got up and climbed the peak at Samdo, I wanted to get up there for the sunrise and I wanted to see if I could espy some marmots. No marmots, but I got the sunrise and some magic views.
Unfortunately I had to leave as breakfast was due. I was up a long way, but my descent was rapid and I got down just in time for breakfast - my usual apple muesli with two boiled eggs and ginger tea.


The day started with a brilliant cloudless sky, but the wind was quite strong. I wished I had my balaclava on instead of a cotton cap. 
 
We have lunch at Namche, dal bhat, our party's favourite of course .

Food prices are at a premium up here compared to further down, it is roughly 150%.above. For example Dal bhat 550, eggs 220, muesli 320, garlic soup 250, potato and cheese pasta 500, ginger tea 320. Understandable considering everything has to be transported in.
Big height gain today, the trees have all but disappeared, and I am in awe at the immensity of the mountains. We stop often to catch a breath and take it all in. The altitude is taking effect, I am feeling pressure on the neck through to the back of my head. There is a mild tightness of the chest tightness near the sternum. I have to take care with walking making slow deliberate steps to keep balance.

With a shortage of accommodation, Walter and Elena shared a room with me. Dinner was eggs over cheese croutons with garlic soup and ginger tea.
Cards anyone ?
I feel for the animals up here. It is well below zero, and there is no warm fire and a blanket covering but a small portion of their body.

Euphoria: mountains, rarefied air. Except for that lingering headache !



Comments