Oct 19. Dharapani to Kota, Annapurna Circuit. Nepal

We joined the Annapurna circuit trek briefly to get to the next leg of the trip - Phu and Nar, which in the forbidden restricted area. It was a jolt to my peace as there were a lot more people, and also motorised vehicles. Nothing however, will take away the beauty of the highest mountains of the Himalaya.
  Here is a map of the intended route from right to left, taking me off the Annapurna trail through the restricted area of Nar and Phu. Then into Manang and across to Lake Tilicho. Finally I backtrack and head over another pass and into Jomson where I fly out to Pokhara.
I enjoyed a good breakfast of chapati, omelette , muesli and apple with ginger tea.  We say our goodbyes, and leave in our different directions in good spirits.  Walter, Elena, Rajesh and Ga get a 4wd out to Chame.
The way out to the Annapurna circuit is on a dirt road. Despite vehicular access, there are still many who transport goods on their back. To get things across to connecting villages it is either by porter or animal. The cost of a vehicle being above and beyond the earning capacity of many in the local community.
The journey to Kota was along dirt road for a good part of the way. The road allows vehicles and motorbikes which raised the dirt into the air forming a dusty atmosphere. There were quite a few mountain bikers riding down hill at high speed. Some of the road was quite steep and quick evasive action on our part not easy.
We duck off the road whenever there is an opportunity.  There are a lot more people on the Annapurna circuit trek, I  was glad to have discovered the Manaslu circuit trek, and cannot wait to get off to the Nar-Phu valley trek. 
 
We had a break often after the steep sections as it was quite warm. It was a short day at about four hours of walking , so  there is no pressure to hurry. I was pleased with my new guide Kshitiz.
The view of Manaslu was excellent, and there were some views of Annapurna II
We stopped for lunch and spent time admiring the views and animals. This goat was quite a character cheekily popping up everywhere.
Lunch at the village consisted of dal bhat (why stop a good thing) and a drink of the local rice beer. It was quite cool and palatable and reasonable at 75 rupee a glass. Kshitiz and my porter both favoured the Tang orange drink to quench their thirst.
I purchased some gloves and a beanie today 500 rupee. Do I need them ? Not really. I resisted all this time due mainly to weight and baggage limitations.
At Kota, we check in for our journey to the Nar-Phu valley.  Phu and Nar were discovered only recently, and opened to tourists in 2003. To go there you are supposed to have permits for two foreigners plus your guide, I paid for the permits but have a phantom friend to come along with me.
My curiosity takes me to the secret entry into my walk tomorrow. There is a police station just before it, so there is no proceeding without permits and guide.
> Tonight we rested  in luxury and I enjoyed a big feast of corn bread, pizza and soup for dinner. 

Blog Indexes:

Comments